Digging for homeowners
Digging post holes for a new fence? Replacing your driveway? Whenever you dig around your property, please think of our cable network which may not be too far from the surface, usually between 300 and 450mm deep. Damaging our cables can severely impact your neighbours and the wider community.
Damaging our cables can mean:
- 111 calls can't get through to emergency services
- Cell phone towers may be cut off from the network
- Businesses lose telephone, internet, email, and EFTPOS services
- Properties in the area (including your own) will lose internet access and may also lose access to medical and security alarms
- Teenagers in the neighbourhood will totally freak if the Wi-Fi stops working for even a second
beforeUdig.co.nz is an online service which enables anyone undertaking excavation works to obtain information on the location of cables, pipes and other utility assets in and around any proposed dig site.
If you're doing any work around the boundaries of your property or think there may be cables passing underground, please visit beforeUdig.co.nz to check. You can request free network plans and/or trigger the cable location service through the website.
A minimum fee of $166 plus GST is charged for all on-site cable locations. If it takes longer than one-hour, additional time is charged at $42 plus GST for every 15 minutes thereafter. Prices effective from 1st September 2023. However, if the cables are shown to be our core distribution cables and are on private property and/or your neighbour's service lead runs through your property, we'll mark these out free of charge.
If you require a locate after our business hours, please call 0800 111 124 to organise. Please note that additional locate charges apply to any locate outside of business hours and weekends.