What do I need to do?

If you have concerns about the work proposed, you'll have 15 working days to object from when you received your information pack. If we don't hear from you, or any of the other affected neighbours, we'll begin scheduling work once this timeframe passes. If you want to lodge your objection complete our objection form and we'll be in touch once your objection has been assessed.


Category 2 build methods for MDUs

Whether your building consists of two dwellings or twenty, there’s some work we need to do in shared areas of the property so you and your neighbours can connect to fibre. You will have received a notification pack from us outlining the work we’ll do, including build methods, to bring fibre from the street to your building. Find out more about the category 2 build methods.


The installation process for MDUs

When the work in shared areas of your building is complete, we can connect you. For this part, our standard fibre installation process is followed.

Agree your install plan

We’ll get in touch to arrange for a Chorus technician to meet with you at your place to talk through the next steps and agree on a plan for the rest of your fibre installation.

Build your fibre

Fibre will be taken from the outside of your unit or apartment and connected to a small box called the optical network terminal or ONT inside your place.

Connecting you

We then connect your modem to the ONT and test the connection before we leave to make sure everything is working as it should.

Install process for MDUs

Check out this short video to learn more about how we connect an MDU to fibre.


We visit each property to assess what work we need to do in shared property areas to get fibre connected. Each job is then placed in category 1, 2, or 3 depending on the level of impact the work is likely to have.
We design each build according to our best practice guidelines. The best, least disruptive solution is used to get fibre from the street to the home of the person who has ordered, and we categorise each job on this basis. The category of work would only change if the build method changes.
To get you connected, we need to bring our fibre network through areas of property that are shared with your neighbours. Because they have a stake in these common areas, by law we need to let them know what work we’re planning to carry out.
A neighbour in your building, block of units, or shared driveway has ordered fibre and to get them connected we need to bring our fibre network through shared areas of your property. Because they have a stake in these common areas, by law we need to let them know what work we’re planning to carry out.
In most cases, no. Some apartment buildings and shared driveways do require work outside of a standard residential install and, in those cases, a contribution to the costs is required. If this is case at your property, we will have let you know.
If you or one of your neighbours has ordered fibre, you should have received a notice pack from us. This pack has all the information you need, including a detailed design of the work we are planning. If you did not receive this pack and believe you should have, please contact us.
If the work has been classed as a category 2 build, you may lodge an objection on specific grounds. More information can be found here.
If the work proposed at your place has been classed as a category 1 build, or you disagree with our decision regarding a category 2 build objection, in some instances you are able to take the matter further via a third party disputes resolution process. More information can be found here.
For category 3 builds, we require consent from all neighbours with a shared stake in the property. This is because the work we need to do could cause some disruption.
Due to privacy laws we are unable to share this information.
The consent form required for category 3 builds can be found here.
If the work we’re doing has been classed as category 1 or category 2, you will have received notice of the work including an approximate time frame of when work would begin. Under the Telecommunications Act, consent is only required for category 3 builds. If you believe the work at your property was classed as category 3 but you haven’t provided consent, please contact us.