Before you dig
If you're planning to excavate, the last thing you want to do is hit a cable. Please play it safe by using our cable location services to check what's underground before you dig.
If you're a homeowner wanting to replace a fence, a contractor installing a new cable or pipe along a street, or working for a council on a new roading or footpath project, beforeUdig.co.nz is the best place to start your project. Not only will you avoid damaging underground telecommunications, power, water and gas services, but it also ensures the safety of the people working on your project.
Please use beforeUdig.co.nz if you're:
- Designing or building new underground assets
- Doing road or footpath restoration works
- Planning maintenance on existing underground assets
- Building a new fence
- Laying a new driveway
- Planning a new subdivision or development
- Undertaking cultivation on a paddock that you may not have done before - underground assets can often be found under rural land, particularly those close to roads.
The beforeUdig.co.nz service aims to:
- simplify the process of requesting plans from asset owners
- reduce the number of personal injuries
- protect underground assets from interruption and preventable damage
- provide a single point of request for information on where underground assets are located
- coordinate with contractors, asset owners and government to set standards for essential infrastructure protection
To use this free service, register on their website to request plans.
To submit your request, you need to:
- provide details of your planned works including date, location and activity type.
- draw the works on a map - you can use their mapping tool.
We'll confirm your request is received and you'll get information on underground services in the location within 48 hours.
Please allow enough time to receive this before your planned start date.
If you’d like us to visit your site, the beforeUdig centre will electronically page a service technician with your request. Once the cable is located, its position is marked with purple paint as a digging guide. Begin work carefully to find the cable's exact location.
A minimum base fee of $99 + GST is charged for all on-site cable locations. If the locate exceeds one hour, additional time is charged at $25 + GST per quarter hour block. However, if the cables are shown to be our core distribution cables and are on private property, we'll mark these out free of charge.
If you work for a company regularly involved with earthworks, we offer free telecommunications network awareness training for your staff which emphasises the importance of identifying underground services and using safe digging practices. Companies and individuals completing the programme receive a certificate recognising their participation.