Terms and ConditionsView all Terms & Conditions
We know privacy is important to you. This policy sets out how we collect, protect, store, use, and share your personal information.
On this page
While the whole policy is below, you can also jump down to the section you need using this menu:
- What this policy applies to and how it works
- How we collect your information
- What personal information we collect
- How we use your personal information
- Sharing your information
- How we protect and store your information
- Your privacy options
- How to contact us
What this policy applies to and how it works
What this policy applies to
New Zealand phone and broadband service providers access our network and services to provide products and/or services to their customers. We don't sell retail telecommunications services.
This policy applies where:
- you order products and services from a provider that uses our services;
- we provide you services directly;
- you use our websites or otherwise interact with us.
How this policy works
To make this policy easier to read, we define some terms. So, when we say:
- “we" or “us” we mean Chorus New Zealand Limited;
- “services” we mean our services that may be delivered to you:
- directly by us (or those who deliver services on behalf, such as our subcontractors or agents); or
- by a provider that uses our services for their products and services.
Changes to this policy
How we collect your information
The key ways we collect your personal information are:
- you provide it to us, when you contact or interact with us (such as via email, social media platforms, or on our websites or tools), enter a competition, apply for a job with us, enter into an agreement with us (including when we build our network to your premises or property developments);
- it is generated when you use our services or websites or tools, such as technical information generated from our network or services, or cookies and similar technologies when you visit our websites;
- we get it from third parties, such as your provider when you get products or services from them that use our services, loyalty program partners, marketing partners, or other trusted organisations.
What personal information we collect
The personal information we collect depends on our relationship and our interaction with you.
When you use our services
When you use our services (via a provider, or directly), we collect information such as:
- your contact details, including your address;
- which services you receive, and your usage of these services;
- technical or performance information related to our network, technology, and services;
- if you have an optical network terminal (this is the small white unit that is installed at your premises for fibre) (ONT), then we also collect:
- the ONT’s power status (“on”, or “off”); and
- for ONTs that provide Wi-Fi, we also collect information about your devices that use our services (such as unique identifiers, device model, and technical and performance settings). If you also use voice over IP using the ONT Wi-Fi, then we also collect voice over IP usage information.
When you contact/interact us, visit our sites, or apply for a job
We collect personal information when you:
- contact or interact with us, such as your contact details, and any other additional information you provide (including a Chorus form on a third party website);
- visit any of our buildings or other premises, your contact details, where you work, and CCTV footage;
- apply for employment or contracting opportunities, including personal information related to potential employment or as a contractor (for example, resumes, third party reference checks, bank details, certain health information etc). We may also conduct pre-employment checks on potential employees or contractors.
Information we collect from third parties
We may collect personal information from others, including:
- when you request or receive products or services from a provider that use our services, such as your contact details;
- when you receive services from service companies that install and maintain our services, such as your contact details;
- to enhance the information we hold about you. We use carefully selected third parties who provide us information, such as loyalty program partners, marketing partners, or other trusted organisations. This supports us to personalise, market or promote our services (which may include jointly promoting services with trusted third parties) to you, or to better validate your personal information we collect.
Information we collect automatically on our websites and its tools
We collect personal information automatically when you:
We recommend you enable cookies to enjoy all the features of our websites, but this is up to you. Your browser and device settings will allow you to change your cookie preferences.
How we use your personal information
We use your information to:
- provide you with services;
- enable your provider to deliver you products and services (including updating or improving their products and services);
- update or improve our services, networks, technology, and websites;
- personalise our websites;
- communicate with you, such as by post, phone, text message, email, social media or other platforms;
- provide you, or enable third parties to provide you, with information about services that may be relevant to you (including sending you promotional material and news that you are able to opt-out of);
- display targeted advertising about our services to you online on our website and through third party websites and platforms;
- enable us to run any competition you have entered;
- in the case of employees and contractors to pay your wages, fees and other employee or contractor entitlements, and to manage your relationship with us or service providers who provide those benefits. For potential employees or contractors, we may use your information to conduct pre-employment checks;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
PowerSense – power restoration service used by electricity lines companies
If you are delivered our fibre services, the ONT’s power status at your premises is used to help certain electricity lines companies identify and restore power outages in the low-voltage grid faster. This product is called “PowerSense”.
We think using this limited information provides benefits to you and the public, but if you’re not comfortable with this you can opt-out of providing your ONT data in the “Your privacy options” section below.
Anonymised and aggregated information
We may also use anonymised and aggregated information (which means you cannot be identified) about:
- usage patterns of our websites along with tools on our websites;
- the data provided when using those tools;
- usage on our network.
We may share insights of this anonymised and aggregated information to third parties or publicly.
Sharing your information
We can share your personal information with third parties for the purposes it was collected, for a directly related purpose, where you consent, or for another lawful purpose.
We may share information with providers to enable them to offer you products and services that use our services or network.
We may also share your personal information with third parties:
- who provide us with products or services to support the services we provide (such as our suppliers, consultants, service companies, or other contractors), or to market or promote our services to you (using carefully selected third parties, such as loyalty program partners, marketing partners, Facebook or Google, or other trusted organisations). We carefully select such parties, and require them to protect your information. See how we share information with Facebook or Google;
- to enforce or protect our legal rights, including managing disputes;
- if we think that we are required or permitted by law to disclose your information (such as to regulators, law enforcement bodies, or government agencies);
- where required for us to use your personal information as set out in this policy.
How we protect and store your information
How we protect your personal information
We use appropriate security safeguards in line with industry standards to keep your personal information protected. If we need to store your information in the cloud (which may be held outside of New Zealand), we ensure our cloud providers have standards and controls in line with industry standards to keep your information protected.
How long we store your information
We store your personal information only as long as we need it for the reasons set out in this policy.
If practicable, we will delete or anonymise your personal information once it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected.
What happens if there is a data breach
We will notify you if we are aware of a privacy breach that affects your personal information, and we are required to notify you by law. We may provide a public notice of the breach if we think it is appropriate or required by law.
Your privacy options
Accessing and correcting your information
You can access or correct your personal information by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We may require you to provide us information to verify your identity (such as a copy of a driver’s licence or passport).
In some cases, there may be a charge associated with providing you copies of your personal information, but we’ll let you know if that is the case.
Opting out and cookie preferences
You will be given the opportunity to opt out of marketing communications you receive from us, or you can email us at email@example.com to be taken off our mailing list.
Your browser and device settings will allow you to change your cookie preferences.
Opting out of PowerSense
If you are delivered our fibre services and want to opt out of Chorus collecting the ONT’s power status for the PowerSense service, then please email PSOptOut@chorus.co.nz and include your premises’ address.
How to contact us
Our Privacy Officer is the Assistant General Counsel, Corporate and Commercial. If you have questions about this policy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.